Do I Need a Groundworker?
Hiring a trustworthy local groundworker is a vital part of any serious building project that could affect the foundations of your house.
Groundwork normally refers to the work done to prepare sub-surfaces for the start of a construction project, and is the first stage of the process (aside from demolition of any pre-existing structures). Quality groundwork underpins the structure and layout of your building, providing enough strength to adequately bear the weight of the entire building.
If you are undertaking any construction project that involves cabling, drains or laying utilities like water pipes and telephone lines, you will need the services of a local groundwork contractor. At Hamuch, we can help you ensure that any groundwork companies you use are qualified and certified for any project you have in mind.
Looking for other local building services? At Hamuch.com, we have the right tradesman for you. Browse through our extensive list of paving and driveway specialists and damp proofing specialists.
What Does a Groundworker Do?
A groundworker is a subcontractor employed to prepare a construction site for the shallow foundation of a new building, underpinning the entire structure. The groundworker evaluates and plans the depth of the groundwork to ensure a strong construction. Their duties can include:
- Ground investigation: A ground investigation of the site is needed to help identify past land issues and any potential problems with foundation stability. The investigation data will be used to identify any potential issues with the planned construction.
- Site clearance: The site for construction will be cleared. The topsoil will be taken up, and if the site slopes, the ground will need to be levelled. Retaining walls to hold back earth and water may also need to be constructed.
- Substructure and ground stabilisation: The function of a substructure is to ensure a building’s stability. It includes a building’s concrete foundations and piling, as well as the basement if there is one. A groundwork specialist will take care of all of this, making use of sophisticated techniques such as diamond drilling if necessary.
- Site services: In construction, site services can include temporary or permanent drainage and other utility connections. The contractors will also take care of equipment rental, also known as plant hire.
- Landscaping: This is the process of improving a piece of land, whether that’s by arranging and modifying existing features or by conducting earthworks to entirely remodel the space.
How To Find Local Groundworkers Near You
HaMuch makes it super easy to find groundwork companies in your local area. To find a specialist near you, follow our simple three-step process:
- Post your job: Find your location, either by typing in your postcode or town, or selecting where you are from our extensive list of regions, counties and cities in the UK. We ask you to select your maximum budget, so that you never pay more than what you can afford. Post the details of your job and we’ll match you with tradesmen in your area who are qualified and experienced to do the work.
- Get quotes: We’ll send your job listing to groundwork contractors near you. We’ll notify you via text when three tradesmen have expressed interest in your job.
- Select your tradesman: Review the profiles and experience of the tradesmen interested in working with you. You can use HaMuch to read customer reviews from people just like you, compare rates and see how close they are to you. You can even communicate with tradesmen to discuss the work before making your decision — you’re in complete control!
Our search tools are designed to help you find the groundwork services that best suit your needs, budget and location.
Looking for other local fitting services? At Hamuch.com, we have the right tradesman for you. Browse through our extensive list of local doors and windows fitting services and floor fitting services.