For centuries, tiles have played a huge role in decorating our homes. Providing a water-resistant finish and easy-to-clean surface, it’s no wonder many of us choose wall tiles to finish the walls of our homes.
From brick-like finishes to classic mosaic patterns, tiles are a great way of adding character to your walls. Although the traditional location of tiled walls tends to be our kitchens and bathrooms, the increasing popularity of feature walls and contemporary interior design means there are now a wide range of style options for those looking to tile other walls in their homes.
How a Contractor Carries Out Wall Tile Installation?
When considering tiling or retiling your walls, it’s important to hire a professional walls and floors tile specialist. A qualified wall tiler will have the skills, knowledge and tools to create a standout wall that will last for years to come.
If you are looking to replace broken tiles or are opting for an entirely new look, a professional tiler will be able to safely and efficiently remove your existing tiles without damaging the surface of the wall beneath. If you would like to keep or recycle your tiles — for example, to use in another room of your house, to use as coasters on your dining table or to otherwise use creatively, a professional tiler will ensure that as many tiles remain intact as possible.
Once you’ve chosen your new tiles and grout finish, your tiler can begin the process of applying and fixing your new tiles in place. Of course, a tiler will also be happy to advise you on what tiles to select, based on your overall vision.
- Fixing tiles with adhesive: All wall tiles are fixed to the wall with adhesive, which is a mix that ensures your tiles are secure. The tiler will also use a tool to create ridges, which provide extra grip for the the adhesive.
- Pressing tiles: Once your tiler has applied adhesive to the back of each tile, it will be pressed into place. Your tiler will use plastic spacers to ensure there is a proportionate gap between each tile, ensuring an attractive and symmetrical finish.
- Finishing application: Once the tiles are applied, any excess adhesive on the surface of the tile will be wiped off.
- Applying grout: Once your tiles have been fixed into place, the plastic spacers will be removed and grout, a sand-based mixture, will be spread into the gaps. This creates an attractive border for your tiles and serves as a protective barrier.
- Finishing: Finally, a moist sponge will be used to wipe off any grout on the surface of the tiles. This also ensures that the grout lines have a waterproof seal, which will prevent damage and extend the life of your tiles.
Looking for a professional tiler for your wall tiling needs? Compare prices and find a tradesman in your area.
How to Find a Wall Tile Fitter Near You?
To find a wall and floor tiler near you, follow our simple three-step process:
- Post your job: Find your location, either by typing in your postcode or town, or selecting from our extensive list of regions, counties and cities in the UK. We ask you to select your maximum budget, so that you never pay more than what you can afford. Post the details of your job and we’ll match you with tradesmen in your area who are qualified and experienced to do the work.
- Get quotes: We’ll send your job listing to wall tiling specialists in your area. We’ll notify you via text when three tradesmen have expressed interest in your job.
- Select your tradesman: Review the profiles and experience of the tradesmen interested in working with you. You can use HaMuch to read customer reviews from people just like you, compare rates and see how close they are to you. You can even communicate with tradesmen to discuss the work before making your decision — you’re in complete control!
Our search tools are designed to help you find a tradesman that best suits your needs, budget and location.
Compare prices and find the perfect wall tiler near you today. We list only qualified, fully-vetted tradesmen and we do all the legwork for you, meaning all you need to do is click and pick!