There’s a certain art to applying tiles to a surface in a way that makes it safe, durable and aesthetically pleasing. Done correctly, a well-tiled surface can last a lifetime. In order for tiles to last, they must be applied to a clean and flat surface.
What is Tile Adhesive and Grout?
When installing tiles, a special adhesive is used to fix the tiles to the surface. There are many adhesives that can be used, with some pre-mixed and ready to apply and others that need to be mixed with water beforehand. Once the tiles are fixed in place using a good adhesive, grout is then applied to fill the gaps between the tiles — adhesive is only used on the back of the tiles. Grout comes in a sanded and unsanded mix. Sanded grout is used to fill wide gaps, while an unsanded mix is used to fill thinner gaps.
Grouting needn’t be plain and unspectacular, though, and there are plenty of designs you can take inspiration from, from using a black grout to create a contrast and achieve a brick-like effect, to using glitter to add a sparkle to your tiles. These are simple, but effective, choices you can make to add a touch of personality and style to your kitchen or bathroom interior design. However, when it comes time to install or repair the tiles, it’s always best to make sure you enlist the help of professional tile grouting services.
How Tile Repair Contractors Fix Ceramic Tiles with Adhesive?
Once you have selected your adhesive and grout, your tiler can then begin the process of applying and fixing your new tiles in place. This may require them to cut away any old tiles that are already in place — once this is done, they’ll perform the following tasks:
- Fixing tiles with adhesive: Your tiler will use a serrated edge spreader to apply adhesive to the back of each of your tiles. They’ll then use a notched spreader to create ridges, which help the adhesive grip to the surface it’s being applied to.
- Pressing tiles: Once the adhesive is applied, the tile will be pressed into place. Your tiler will then repeat the process with the remaining tiles, using a spacer to make sure there is an even and proportionate space between each tile.
- Finishing application: After a few rows of tiles have been laid, any excess adhesive that may be on the surface of the tiles will be wiped off. Your tiler will then repeat the process until all tiles have been fixed into place.
How to Grout Ceramic Tiles?
During the tiling process, your tiler will have marked out each space for grout using a grout line spacer. This also ensures that no adhesive leaks into this space when the tile is pressed to the wall or floor. Once these spacers are removed, your tiler can begin to apply the grout finish of your choice.
- Applying grout: Once the plastic line spacers have been removed, your tiler will spread grout into the gaps between your tiles using a special grouting tool, such as a rubber bladed spreader. They’ll apply equal care and attention to the job whether they’re grouting wall tiles, grouting tiles in the shower or grouting floor tiles.
- Finishing: Once the grout has been spread, a moist sponge is used to wipe off any grout on the surface of your tiles. This also makes sure that your grout lines have an effective waterproof seal. If you require any holes in your tiling, for example to affix towel rails in the bathroom, then your tile professional can drill these safely and securely.
Are you looking for a professional tiler to tile your bathroom or kitchen? At HaMuch, we list vetted tradesmen capable of doing the job, whatever your requirements.
How to Find a Tile Repair Specialist?
To find a tiler near you, follow our simple three-step process:
- Post your job: Find your location, either by typing in your postcode or town, or selecting from our extensive list of regions, counties and cities in the UK. We ask you to select your maximum budget, so that you never pay more than what you can afford. Post the details of your job and we’ll match you with tradesmen in your area who are qualified and experienced to do the work.
- Get quotes: We’ll send your job listing to adhesive and grout specialists in your area. We’ll notify you via text when three tradesmen have expressed interest in your job.
- Select your tradesman: Review the profiles and experience of the tradesmen interested in working with you. You can use HaMuch to read customer reviews from people just like you, compare rates and see how close they are to you. You can even communicate with tradesmen to discuss the work before making your decision — you’re in complete control!
Our search tools are designed to help you find a tradesman that best suits your needs, budget and location.
Use HaMuch today and find a tiler in your location who can provide a high-quality service within your budget.