Why Do You Need to 'Hire a Bricklayer'?
Do you want to renovate part of your new home? Or are you looking to build a new home from scratch? These types of job require hiring a bricklayer. Bricklayers are the first port of call for those who are looking to renovate their home or construct a new building, as brick is a sturdy, reliable material. While a local bricklayer is often employed to build conversions and extensions, they may also be called upon to build a garden wall, path or patio fence.
Bricklayers can conduct repair and maintenance works. Bricks exposed to rain or dampness are susceptible to damage, and while you may be tempted to try to repair or replace them yourself, this could lead to further damage and end up costing you a considerable amount. Even in the best case scenario, the result will likely be untidy and won’t match the mortar used originally. To prevent you from having to spend more money on getting the job done correctly, it’s advisable to hire a bricklayer from the outset.
What Do Bricklayers Do?
You may be wondering what kind of home repair calls for the expertise of a bricklayer. A bricklayer does more than simply lay bricks; they use their creativity and expertise to transform an idea on paper into a home you can enjoy for many years. They will seal the foundation, spread layers of mortar to form a base, and then lay bricks on it.
Listed below are some of the services a bricklayer can provide:
- Brickwork and Pointing: Bricklayers offer a number of brickwork and pointing (joining mortar together) services, suitable for chimneys, garden walls, extensions, fireplaces, exteriors and more. Without effective pointing, bricks can become waterlogged, causing long-term damage and decay.
- Brickwork Protection: A bricklayer will protect your bricks from harsh cold and wet weather by applying a weather shield sealer, also known as flashing.
- Patios: Patios are traditionally built with slabs or bricks. A bricklayer can measure your space accurately, recommend the best material for your desired look and professionally lay the bricks to ensure a smooth finish.
- Paths: A well-laid path is not only useful for navigating your garden, it also makes the space more enjoyable to look at.
- Brick Replacement: Damaged bricks can pose structural problems and can become a safety issue if left untended. Bricklayers can identify broken or decaying bricks and replace them without displacing the existing pointing. A bricklayer will also be able to find an exact (or closest) match to your current mortar.
How to Find a Bricklaying and Pointing Specialist Near You
To find a bricklayer near you, follow our simple three-step process:
- Post your job: Find your location, either by typing in your postcode or town, or selecting from our extensive list of regions, counties and cities in the UK. We ask you to select your maximum budget, so that you never pay more than what you can afford.Post the details of your job and we’ll match you with tradesmen in your area who are qualified and experienced to do the work.
- Get bricklayer quotes: We’ll send your job listing to local bricklayers. We’ll notify you via text when three tradesmen have expressed interest in your job.
- Select your tradesman: Review the profiles and experience of the tradesmen interested in working with you. You can use HaMuch to read customer reviews from people just like you, compare rates and see how close they are to you. If speed is of the essence, this is the perfect way to find the fastest bricklayers in your area. You can even communicate with tradesmen to discuss the work before making your decision — you’re in complete control!
Our search tools are designed to help you find bricklaying contractors that best suit your needs, budget and location.
Looking for a bricklayer for your home? Whether you’re looking to build an extension or repair or maintain your roof, you’ll find the right tradesman near you at HaMuch.