Timber Structure Specialists Near You: Build a Garden Cabin, Garage or Outdoor Office
Why Do You Need a Timber Structure Specialist?
Are you planning to build a garden cabin, wooden pergola, garden office or a treehouse for your children? You may be considering building it yourself, but this is a large undertaking that requires the expertise and skill of a professional timber structures expert.
Whether you are creating more space for storage, a place to work or an environment you can enjoy in your downtime, consulting a timber structure specialist is vital. These specialist carpenters can review your timber structure design and then erect it safely, avoiding pitfalls you might not have foreseen yourself. This ensures the structure is both safe and fit for purpose.
What Does a Timber Structure Specialist Do?
The services provided by timber structure specialists are wide-ranging and can include:
- Providing advice on building permits and legal considerations: Before you start to build a garden cabin or any other timber structure, you should check your local laws and regulations. In the UK, you must acquire approval before building a new structure. This may require planning permission or, at the very least, a building permit. There will be strict guidelines on the height of your structure to ensure that it does not overlook your neighbour’s garden and cause privacy issues. There are also guidelines surrounding the depth of the foundations during excavation, as well as a minimum distance your garden cabin or building must be from any neighbouring properties. If in doubt, it’s best to speak to your local council, where someone will be able to offer you with advice. When you make your application for a building permit, a timber structures contractor will also inform you of local legal requirements and ensure they are adhered to during the construction process.
- Determining the correct foundation: Once planning has been approved, your timber structures specialist will decide which foundation is best for your garden cabin, garage or building. This may include a plastic shed base, cement or timber. The type, size and intended use of your structure will determine the type of foundation you need. Larger garden cabins for outdoor workshops, offices or summerhouses, for example, will require a concrete foundation, which will provide a solid and long-lasting support for the structure. For a smaller garden shed that’s intended for storing bikes, tools and garden furniture, a plastic shed base will suffice. Either way, once the base is in place, it’s time to start thinking about the timber frame structure.
- Different types of timber: This is where an expert’s knowledge really comes into play. Not all types of wood are the same. Making the wrong choice could result in the wooden walls of your cabin cracking, swelling or even shrinking. This is even more pertinent in the summer and winter, when seasonal changes can play havoc with certain types of timber. It might turn out that an oak timber structure, for example, is the best for your particular garden due to a variety of factors. A timber structure specialist can not only ensure the most durable and high-quality material is used, but also that it’s appropriately treated to last.
- Timber structure building: Constructing a garden cabin is a labour-intensive task that could take several days. Engaging the services of a timber structure specialist will save you time, effort and even money — as building your new space in the wrong way could lead to you spending money on a professional to repair it. Using care and precision, your contractor will construct and fit the various components of your timber building, including doors and windows. The roof structure is incredibly important and must be watertight to prevent leaks and pitched correctly to enable rain water run-off. The weight of the roof must also be considered so as not to compromise or put pressure on the body of your cabin, garage or shed. Your contractor may also engage the services of an electrician to provide lighting and power.
- Aftercare: A timber structure expert will provide you with aftercare advice, including which paint and wood protection treatment you should regularly apply to ensure durability and longevity. Wood is a natural material that is susceptible to mould and algae, and so it requires ongoing care.
How To Find a Timber Structure Specialist Near You?
To find a timber structure specialist near you, follow our simple three-step process:
- Post your job: Find your location, either by typing in your postcode or town, or selecting from our extensive list of regions, counties and cities in the UK. We ask you to select your maximum budget, so that you never pay more than what you can afford. Post the details of your job and we’ll match you with tradesmen in your area who are qualified and experienced to do the work.
- Get quotes: We’ll send your job listing to timber specialists in your area. We’ll notify you via text when three tradesmen have expressed interest in your job.
- Select your tradesman: Review the profiles and experience of the tradesmen interested in working with you. You can use HaMuch to read customer reviews from people just like you, compare rates and see how close they are to you. You can even communicate with tradesmen to discuss the work before making your decision — you’re in complete control!
Our search tools are designed to help you find a tradesman that best suits your needs, budget and location.
When looking for a timber structure specialist, use HaMuch to find a contractor you can trust. We pride ourselves on being the only comparison platform that has a comprehensive list of tradesmen and lets you check and compare rates, and select your maximum budget, instantly.