Do I Need a Damp Proofing Specialist?
If you think your home is being affected by water penetration or condensation problems, it’s important to call a damp proofing specialist. Damp problems — which typically include mould, woodworm and dry or wet rot — can cause significant damage to your property, can result in health problems for those who live there, and can even lead to a significant decline in the value of your home.
While damp problems and condensation issues can occur in any property, they are particularly common in older builds and period homes, as these types of buildings may have been constructed without a damp proof membrane (also known as ‘tanking’).
Every home should have some form of moisture control applied to its walls and floors, designed to prevent moisture from passing into interior spaces. Don’t put off getting your property assessed by an expert; if you think your house has damp, act quickly.
What Does a Damp Proofing Specialist Do?
Damp proofing your building is not a DIY project; it requires expert knowledge, industrial materials and a proper understanding of the building’s structure. Repairing or installing damp proof materials is more tricky than it may seem, and includes the following:
- Sourcing and installing materials: Specialist materials must be acquired and installed to prevent damp from rising through the fabric of your walls. A common method of damp proofing involves fitting a preventative slate barrier, referred to as a ‘damp proof course’, into the base of the walls. This is the sort of job that requires a knowledgeable and trusted builder with damp proofing expertise to be done safely and efficiently.
- Closing cracks and holes: In most cases, special types of resin will need to be injected into targeted points of the building to close up cracks and holes that have been created. This requires the knowledge and skills of an expert damp proofing specialist.
How to Find Damp Proofing Companies Near You
HaMuch makes it super easy to find damp proofing specialists in your local area. To find local damp proofing near you, follow our simple three-step process:
- Post your job: Find your location, either by typing in your postcode or town, or selecting from our extensive list of regions, counties and cities in the UK. We ask you to select your maximum budget, so that you never pay more than what you can afford.Post the details of your job and we’ll match you with damp proofing contractors in your area who are qualified and experienced to do the work.
- Get damp proofing quotes: We’ll send your job listing to damp proofing specialists near you. We’ll notify you via text when three tradesmen have expressed interest in your job.
- Select your tradesman: Review the profiles and experience of the tradesmen interested in working with you. You can use HaMuch to read customer reviews from people just like you, compare rates and see how close they are to you. You can even communicate with tradesmen to discuss the work before making your decision — you’re in complete control!
Our search tools are designed to help you find a tradesman that best suits your needs, budget and location.
You can find local damp proofing contractors near you in the HaMuch.com directory. We offer an extensive list of local building services and extension and conversion services on our site.